Friday, August 12, 2011

Cloth Diapering: Day 1

An opportunity has presented itself were a friend of mine is no longer in need of her cloth diapers and willing to let me purchase them for a great price. She has 30 BubuBibi snap pocket diapers that were only used for a few months. They are still in excellent condition. What is even more awesome is I get a trial weekend to use them and see how Toby adjusts to them. At 8.5 months I don't think Mr Man cares so much about what he wears, it more of how mom adjusts to cleaning poop.



There are so many good reviews for cloth diapers and everyone swears by them, so I figure I'm going to give it my best shot. Luckily our shower head is a removable hand held sprayer that reaches the toilet so that makes the job very easy! There are so many benefits from cloth diapers and saving money is the big one! Though it does cause more laundry at least our utilities are included so we can wash as many times in one day and we will not have to pay. It will be nice if I start now and then when another baby comes along I will be a pro, and cloth diapering will just be natural. I have read that for each child, given they are potty trained by 2 years old, you will be spending $2,500 - $3,000 dollars in diapers. If we plan on having say 4 children that is a lot of money and I know not all of them will be potty trained by 2 years especially boys.  Granted I'm not going to be strictly cloth, if we have long travel days, on vacation, or laundry is out of order we will use disposables. Over time it will pay off.



The very first cloth diaper I put on him was last night to see if he would stay dry.  He has peed through his size 4 diapers every night and that is way to much sheet washing and changing. Since I never know what time he pees through I hate thinking that he is rolling around in it all night. So I tried it with 2 liners and pretty tight to keep it in... boy was I wrong! IT WAS A POO BLOW OUT! I think I had the diaper too tight so there was no room for anything including his massive poo. It was everywhere so for my very first diaper I thought this cannot be how it works. I was cursing my friend as I was cleaning everything up, but I was told that you need time to find your kids settings for the diapers. Thank goodness I am getting a weekend trial run because if I were to judge my cloth diaper experience on that one blow out, my answer would be HELL NO!





All in all the first day was good, I had one small golf ball size leak in the evening but he was already in the diaper for over 2 hours; it's what to be expected for that long of time. I'm not giving up yet and am starting to like it, I feel like I'm doing something good for my son and for the environment; not to mention saving us money. This is only day one we will see what the rest of the week has in store...
-Aly G

No comments: