Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cloth Diapering: Intro to Cloth Wipes

I am coming to love cloth diapers.  I feel good when I go it knowing I'm not contributing much waste. It's really not that hard at all.  I have timed me cleaning 1 pee and 1 poo diaper at the same time in 5 minutes. Though it's all thanks that my shower head reaches to the toilet; I set it to as hot as it will go wear my rubber gloves and BAM poo gone! I have also experienced my first time washing them.  The directions say to wash on cold but you can do warm; I chose warm because at least it's killing some bacteria than the cold setting.  Also they say to hang dry but in Korea it's so humid that they are not drying, so I did it in the dryer on lowest heat setting.  They came out perfectly clean and smelling fresh.




Here is a picture of all the diapers.  I have about a 3 days supply ready to go with inserts and snap to the proper settings. I have found a great picture oh the stages of fittings so I know how to change them as Tobyn get's older.


I'm getting pretty quick and snapping them and adjusting the inserts inside the diaper. The inserts have little snaps so they can fold over; I used this setting for night time when I put 2 inserts in his diaper.  The past 2 days there have been no leaks even in the morning! I'm so happy! The only draw back is that when I open the diaper to change it reeks of ammonia I have to wipe Tobyn down too, but the smell is gone after that.  Man is it potent!

What I started to use today is the cloth wipes. I want to have my mom who is a great seamstress make them for me out of flannel and terry cloth. I saw this example and then found more detailed instructions on  How to make cloth wipes. They seem really easy to make and for my baby's poop I use 2 wipes (he has massive poops) so I need to get more soon I only have a dozen or so. I have found too that I was just trying to use the wipe dry and it was not getting anything off his hiney. I googled how to fix the problem (I love the google machine) and found that you can make home made solutions. I didn't follow any one recipe I just went with what ingredients I had on hand.





 My solutions I made using a 12 oz ReNu contact solution bottle is:
1 cup water
1/4 cup baby soap or shampoo
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp Olive oil
8 drops tea tree oil (this oil is a natural fungus fighter so it's very useful for preventing mold)

I'm going to test this solutions out, a friend told me that to much soap would cause a rash. I'll keep an eye out and may adjust it over time. I would like to get some lavender oil so it would add a fresh sent to his bum which is always in need of it. We will see how it goes.  I can't believe I have not done this sooner but then again I have not tried to take cloth out in public yet.  It's so easy from home I'm kind of kicking myself for not starting it earlier. I feel that conquering cloth diapers I can do anything. I have been on a roll this weekend with cleaning out closets and organization. Cloth diapers just make me feel accomplished, I just hope the feeling last for 4 children!


-Aly G

No comments: